Sunday, December 25, 2011

Who needs chips? Baked garbanzos are my new snack!

Baked Garbanzo Beans!!
What a surprise these are! All the years I've been using garbanzo beans to make bean & grain burgers and to toss on my salad -it never occurred to me to roast them until recently. But with 6 grams of protein/6 grams of fiber & 20 grams of carbs (net carbs would be 8!) for a ½ cup they make the ideal snack!  The sky is the limit regarding what spice blends you use - they can be savory, smoky, spicy - you choose!


Ingredients:
1 can garbanzo beans
1 tablespoon Grapeseed oil - any of the flavors work. We've experimented with garlic, hickory & bacon so far & I want to try lemon as well.
Your choice of Spice Blend - we've enjoyed Ranchers, (of course!), Lemon Rosemary, Cajun, Chili & I'm thinking Adobo, Chipotle Lime Rub & Garlic Galore would be good as well. 
If you try this and have a favorite - be sure to share with all of us! The amount completely depends upon you and the intensity of the blend. For instance - I found myself using a larger amount of the Lemon Rosemary which is fairly mild as opposed to the Cajun which is rather pungeant.
After you've rinsed the beans, pat them dry with a papertowl. Then toss with grapeseed oil & spice blend and spread on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper or your DeMarle Silpat on a Holey Sheet(this works best!!)  
Bake at 400 degrees for 30 minutes - stirring the beans about halfway through.
Store in a container with an airight lid. (that is if you have any left to store!!)

No comments:

Post a Comment